Monday, April 2, 2012

Silk. For play and art.

3 years ago, when I was pregnant with Isabella, I dyed a 6 foot long piece of silk. Why? Just because, I am cool like that. It has been used for so many things since. When Bella began to walk I would tie the silk around her waist so I could track her through the yard. She would have this long rainbow trailing behind her every step. The girls often times use it for fort building, it has been a parachute, and most commonly Rapunzel's hair. Unfortunately silk is somewhat delicate. After tons of use, with rips here and there, I decided to buy another piece to dye. This time we would do a family art project.

First I mixed up all the fiber reactive dyes with shaving cream in different colors in the baby jars I have been hoarding. (Thank you pinterest) I used Q-Tips initially as their paint tools, which we later added paint brushes to complete the job.





Next I wrapped my silk around some scrap wood that I built into a frame. Let the painting begin!



Tada!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment