Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cooking for not quite 6.

Cooking. I used to despise it. Hate it, actually. I hated the mess, the infinite list of supplies that must be acquired from the grocery, the amount of work that I put into something that is immediately destroyed or alternately not eaten at all (which is even worse).

Today, I am loving it. I am getting good at it. I can look in my pantry and fridge and know what can be put together for a meal. I menu plan (which is key). Do I cook every night, no. BUT, in the past month, with the exception of our mini-vaca weekend, we have only gone out to eat 5 times, 2 of which were at a local sandwich place where kids eat free. This is huge for us. Huge savings as well! Freezing has become key. There is at least one casserole or dish I make every week that I can freeze. These are great options for the nights we have gymnastics, dance, soccer, swimming, or when I just need a break from cooking. I must also thank pinterest and my most awesome Aunt Amy for hooking me up with so many recipes. This has really got me moving in a forward direction.

I would like to share one of the many great, simple recipes my Aunt Amy has so graciously shared with me. I will be posting more as time goes by. I will also post a picture next time I cook it.

South of the Border Chicken Bake (cooks up like a mexican soup and the kids LOOOOVE it!)

Serving Size: 18 (I usually make 3 pans and freeze 2)

Ingredients:
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans cream of chicken soup
3.5 cups milk
4 cups cooked chicken- chopped
2 onions finely chopped
2 cups salsa
4 cups cheddar cheese
24 corn tortillas

In a large bowl, combine soups, and milk and stir well

Add pre cooked chicken, onion, salsa, and 3 of the 4 cups of cheddar cheese

Layer tortilla pieces (tortillas cut into 8 pieces) onto bottom of the pan, then add layer of chicken mixture, then add remaining cheese for topping. (makes 3- 8x8 pans)

Cover with foil

Label and freeze

Serve: Thaw casserole, bake in 350 oven for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment